About me:

My name is Ms. Boyce. I live in Eastern, North Carolina and I have been teaching since 2000. I have taught everything in recent years from babies that were deaf or hard of hearing to middle school exceptional needs. My love and my heart has finally found its calling with FIRST GRADE. I love it!!!! This is my first year and I am so excited about it. I want this blog to inspire other educators, and show parents how much fun learning can be. Learning starts at home and parents are essential to their child's educational success.







Monday, March 5, 2012

The Lorax

We had a teacher workday on March 2nd so we are celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday today.  A friend of mine from the local Chick Fil A came out to read Mr. Brown Can Moo. Can You?  She brought the Chick Fil A Cow with her and as an extra treat she brought Chick Fil A Minis with her.  The students were so excited but I couldn't tell what was their favorite part; someone reading to them, the cow, or the food. 






Today the students were asked to wear green as a reminder to "Go Green" to go with the theme of the Lorax.  Each day this week we are highlighting a different book from Dr. Seuss.  I personally have planned a whole month's worth of activities around Dr. Seuss.  (I am a big fan)  We read the LORAX as a group reading and then the students had to write what they would do help save the Earth if they were the Lorax.  Prior to today I made a "Lorax" mustache out of a Popsicle stick and yellow foam.  Each child held it up in front of their face and I snapped a picture.  I told them we would use it at a later time but since the Lorax is out in the movie theatre now the kids kinda already figured out what it was for.  I showed the children how to create Truffla Trees out of pipe cleaners and tissue paper and the students put together something really cool.  I was so proud of their work. 


This was the mustache I made.  It took literally like two minutes and it turned out really well in the photos of the students.






This student's work is always done extremely neat and usually turns out better than my own.


Twisting the pipe cleaners to make her Truffla Tree





For our math center this week the students have to roll the dice, add the two together, and then follow the directions to build their Lorax.  I saw this on Pinterest and couldn't resist. 


5 comments:

  1. Ms. Boyce I love this!!! This is Gena O'Neal...Drew's mama. This is a fabulous blog and I love all the colors and information. I love pinterest,too and get a lot of ideas there myself. Thanks for being, as Drew says, "the coolest teacher ever!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks Gena. I am just learning how to blog. Technology is not my thing but I am trying to get a little better. I love Drew. He always makes his turn out better than my example. lol He is an awesome kid! You and Jody should be extremely proud of the two little gentlemen you guys are raising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog! Thank you for sharing your experience! It could be useful for any author too, you have to know! I couldn't refrain from posting some suggestions of mine, hope any teacher would find them interesting:
    All the students I know hate going to school no matter where they have to graduate or attend their classes… All the school-boys and school-girls I knew in the past, when I had to go and spent a lot of hours in the most hated, grey building in the neighborhood, had the same “kind” thoughts. I bet all the students in the future will despise too any minute in the dull classes, while they are waiting in despair for their turn for exam and grades, well-deserved or not…
    And though many people would point out many reasons for this hatred (the awful bullying of the stronger and older students, boring and narrow-minded teachers, the long classes, etc), I guess the main cause for the students’ disgust is the dull, boring way all the subjects are thought. If you think I’m wrong, just remember some quotes of some great minds: Don’t let school ruin your education. Mark Twain, or It’s a miracle that curiosity survives the formal education. A. Einstein.
    I’m certain that many other people think like me, there are many evidences about that. For example, I remember a movie (but not its title, sorry) where a teacher tried some new, funny methods to teach his students. To attract their attention, and make them silent and listening to his lessons, he promised them they’ll see him vomit as at every 15-20 seconds while they were silent and listening, he would drink one small box of chocolate milk… Then, he thought up a rap song with the names of all the presidents of USA and all the important dates in history… All the students found out studying could be fun too and finally became the best students in their school with the highest grades at the exams at the end of the year!
    This was just a movie of course, and almost everything was exaggerated, but I could give other similar examples from real life. In the past, a friend of mine was so fascinated by Rocky, the first movie about the famous boxer, that he woke up at 6 o’clock every morning before school and ran and trained his body for about an hour just because he wanted to be like his hero from the movie. That was actually something which no teacher or good manual could make him do before that!
    Another good example of the power of the funny and better way for education and inspiration were two kids of a friend of mine. They were so fascinated when I told them my first Tale Of The Rock Pieces, that they began to do exercises every day and didn’t do all the stupid things their coevals did like smoking of cigarettes and drinking strong drinks. Even today, when they are shrewd youngsters, they still take a good care of their health and like to read and learn all the interesting facts about animals and plants’ life and remember my story... The reason for all this good behavior and inspiration of theirs were the many incredible adventures in my book and the excellent way of life of my heroes, or the interesting facts about animals and plants… I guess I don’t have to write here that no teacher of theirs was able to inspire them that way, no matter how hard they tried and what good reasons they showed them to follow their teachings…
    I guess anyone could point out many similar examples and that many teachers could use such good methods like good adventure stories or movies in their classes for really good results?
    Best wishes! Keep up the good work! I'd be very happy if I had a teacher like you when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! I can't wait to read your next entry! You are and awesome teacher, and it really shows that you truly love your job and care about each child! I really hope Claire will have you in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. I have been slack lately because I have been so busy but hoping to get back in the swing of things. I am still learning how to blog.

    ReplyDelete