About me:

My name is Ms. Boyce. I live in Eastern, North Carolina and I have been teaching since 2000. I have taught everything in recent years from babies that were deaf or hard of hearing to middle school exceptional needs. My love and my heart has finally found its calling with FIRST GRADE. I love it!!!! This is my first year and I am so excited about it. I want this blog to inspire other educators, and show parents how much fun learning can be. Learning starts at home and parents are essential to their child's educational success.







Friday, March 2, 2012

Teacher Workday!!!!

I don't get to spend as much time in my classroom as I would like to on a teacher workday because we have trainings that last half the day.  Today I did get to do a few things I had been wanting to make but couldn't find the time.  My partner in crime Ms. Colonna asked me last week if I could come up with a rap for the kids regarding AR test.  We were finding that the kids were reading the books, taking the test, but not passing them with an 80% or 100%.  Our students need to work on their reading comprehension so we needed something to grab them with.  Here is my rap I came up with at lunch that day.  The kids LOVE it and learned it quickly after like three times.  One of my lower students was taking an AR test yesterday and he said Ms. Boyce I remembered the rap and I knew I needed to look back.  AHHHH HAAAAA!

I also used this R.A.P poster to go with my rap since they worked well together.  R stands for "Read a paragraph".  A is "Ask yourself about the main idea and details".  And P stands for "Put it into your own words".   This works great for retelling. 

So the other things I got to finish up today were some Pinterest finds. 



This is laminated so I can use a dry erase marker and pick a number of the day everyday.  This is in line with the new common core standards that we are working toward implementing at the beginning of the school year next year but my students can benefit from it now so let's do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment