About me:

My name is Ms. Boyce. I live in Eastern, North Carolina and I have been teaching since 2000. I have taught everything in recent years from babies that were deaf or hard of hearing to middle school exceptional needs. My love and my heart has finally found its calling with FIRST GRADE. I love it!!!! This is my first year and I am so excited about it. I want this blog to inspire other educators, and show parents how much fun learning can be. Learning starts at home and parents are essential to their child's educational success.







Friday, February 3, 2012

Classroom

This year I went with a beach theme for the classroom because I grew up near the Outer Banks of North Carolina and I love going to beach in the summer.  I used PVC piping to create a fun little reading area for the children to go to during centers or while they are doing their pair-up (buddy) reading.  The children like the atmosphere and so far it has held up pretty well. 

I used foam and pipe cleaners to make flip flops for our WORD WALL.  I couldn't get a picture of the whole wall but the title say, "We are flippin' out over new words!"  The flip flops were super easy to make and I really liked the way it turned out.  The students were each given binders at the beginning of the year called B.E.A.C.H. books.  B.E.A.C.H. acronym for Bring Everyday All Communications and Homework. This book goes back and forth between school and home each day.  It contains a section for important papers, homework calendar for the month, money pouch for lunch, parent/teacher communication section with loose leaf paper, spelling list, take along word wall, additional tools, and a homework folder marked with a "L" for leave at home and a "R" for return to school.  I stole this idea from the other first grade teacher at my school (Mrs. Colonna you are AWESOME).  She does B.E.E books because her theme is Bees.  All papers are filed in each students hanging file after being checked and then everything is sent home once a week on Friday.  I have found this is so much easier than trying to send papers home every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment