About me:

My name is Ms. Boyce. I live in Eastern, North Carolina and I have been teaching since 2000. I have taught everything in recent years from babies that were deaf or hard of hearing to middle school exceptional needs. My love and my heart has finally found its calling with FIRST GRADE. I love it!!!! This is my first year and I am so excited about it. I want this blog to inspire other educators, and show parents how much fun learning can be. Learning starts at home and parents are essential to their child's educational success.







Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Umbrellas, ellas, ellas. Hey Hey Hey!



My literacy groups are divided up into vowels.  A, E, I, O, and U.  Since I went with a beach theme this year I tried to give each group a clever name that was beach related.  A- Angel Fish, E-Electric Eels, I-Ice Cream Cones (okay so this one is a little far fetched but I couldn't find anything else I liked better that started with an I. ha ha ha ) What?  I like ice cream at the beach.  Don't you?  lol  O- Octopus and the U's are my Umbrellas.  The class thinks it is hilarious when I call the Umbrella group by singing Rihanna's "Umbrella"! The students come to me, to my assistant, go to their center, and do two rotations working on their seat work each day.  Above is the chart we use to let students know at all times where they should be.  Each student has a clip art picture on the desk with Velcro because groups are constantly being rearranged by levels.  I call students to the carpet for calendar, line them up, etc. using their vowel names and it makes it sooooooo much easier on me.  Each student's desk has their name tag, group, surfboards, and AR sign-up tag placed on their desk with Velcro. 
Velcro is one of my best friends.  Each student starts the week with five surfboards.  Surf boards are taken for misbehaving, not completing assignments such as home, and not living up to  classroom responsibilities.  If they lose three the student is not allowed to participate in fun Friday and has to write a letter home explaining why they lost their boards.  Losing all five is a WIPE OUT and they are sent to ISS. 

Here is our AR sign up chart.  Students are not allowed to interrupt me or even ask me if they can take an AR test.  They all are well aware of the times they are allowed to take test.  They place their name on the sign up chart and wait there turn.  It is not mandatory for my students to take AR test but it is highly encouraged.  As an incentive they are allowed to pick a prize on Friday if they have taken and passed at least three AR test.  Our principal has agreed to kiss a pig at the end of this nine weeks if the school as a whole reads 12 million words.  Our students are working hard to make sure he keeps his end of the deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment