About me:

My name is Ms. Boyce. I live in Eastern, North Carolina and I have been teaching since 2000. I have taught everything in recent years from babies that were deaf or hard of hearing to middle school exceptional needs. My love and my heart has finally found its calling with FIRST GRADE. I love it!!!! This is my first year and I am so excited about it. I want this blog to inspire other educators, and show parents how much fun learning can be. Learning starts at home and parents are essential to their child's educational success.







Wednesday, February 8, 2012

She's Alive

After being out on Monday and Tuesday of this week sick.  I thought it was great this morning when my students came in and there eyes got big.  They were excited I was back and it never ceases to amaze me the things my children say.  One little girl said, "She's Alive!!!"  My teaching assistant (who is such a blessing), Ms. Bunch had surprised me by hanging up some of our 100th Day of School Projects.  The students were asked to make a project using 100 of anything they wanted to.  This was a family project and students were asked to present their projects in front of the class explaining how they made it, with what they made it with, and who helped them to make it.  Here is a couple of examples.  The students really got into it and I love sending home family projects because the kids love having their parents take the time with them to create something fabulous. 

One student chose to make a school using 100 toothpicks while another student did an underwater scene with 100 sea animals.


100 starts, 100 fruit loops, 100 fish

Because I wasn't there on Monday and Tuesday I am taking the time today to share with you some centers we are using this week that are Valentine's Day inspired.  The first one is called Valentine Candy Count.  This is a Math Center.  Each student is asked to bring a pencil to the center and fill out a worksheet.  The students have to sort the candy hearts by color and then count how many of each color there are and record the number on the worksheet provided. 

Another center we are working on this week was inspired by Ms. Colonna.  This is a spelling center.  The students work on blends by placing the correct pictures in the appropriate box.  The students get more excited when I add the blends to a candy box then just having to sort pictures.  They have Valentine's Day on the brain right now so anything to do with that theme gets them excited to learn. 


1 comment:

  1. I know you are having fun! They are like sponges at that age. They also like to share all the family secrets-you don't even have to ask!! I made a cute little buterfly with my 2 little grands. A snack baggie-fill with snack. I used mini pretzels and it took 12 to fill it just right. They counted the pretzels. Now seal the bags-make sure you get the air out. Wrap a pipe cleaner around the middle of the bag-twist tight. Now you have wings and an antenna. Take a clothes pin and draw a face on it.Clip it in the middle with the pipe cleaner.You have a butterfly! Make sense? We made 32 of them.

    You all did a great job with the 100 days of school projects. I know your students love Ms. Boyce!

    ReplyDelete